Monday, February 7, 2011

Re-Focusing

The body is amazing; in that respect it doesn’t matter if it’s working properly or not, it all works and fits together like a chain.  When just one piece is out of place you get all sorts of kinks in the links.

My Saturday run was difficult, to say the least.  In my mind I had decided to only run as far as I could without pain.  The first sign of pain and I was to turn around and head back (thankfully these courses are typically an out and back). 

I made it out to the third mile before I started to feel any real twinging.  It wasn’t pain so I pushed on a little bit further, by mile 3.8 I knew it was officially pain so I turned around and headed by.  Once the pain started it was excruciating!  I was able to run till mile 6.51 then it was all done.  I had to walk the rest of the way up to the fitness center. 

The walk was horrific.  I am a runner, I don’t discredit walkers but I’m not excited about having to walk while other runners are passing me up telling me “good job”.  I wanted to cry.  I tried to lift my knee to run but NO WAY.  Physically is was painful but mentally it was so much worse.  To know my group was running 12 and I couldn’t….I have mental issues regarding not being able to do what I, mentally, want to do.

Made it up, met with a few friends who had their first run with the group, grabbed a bagel and headed for the doc room.  Side note; this group has 6 or so doctors that volunteer their services before or after a run.  They are sports med drs, orthopedic docs, and general practitioner docs.  They sometimes run with the group but not all of them all the time.  They always have a few ready for action if you happen to limp in.

Doc checked me out and told me my FIBULA WAS STUCK, stuck.  What the hell is that.  How does it get stuck and stuck where exactly.  I can say I don’t fully understand it all but apparently my fibula is stuck in superior glide and it’s going to take some manipulation to get it out and keep it out.  Lots of “bend your knee” press press press “straighten it a little, just a touch” press press press “now fully straight” press press press.  The pain, OMG, the pain on the tip of that bone is just awful.  He showed Jimmy how to do the move and press thing and told me I’d be good as new but I’d probably new a few other adjustments because when, as I stated earlier, one link is out of place then the chain is all out of whack.

Over the weekend I’ve had Jimmy pressing me.  I don’t know, it doesn’t feel like it did when the doc did it.  I’m going to be calling the chiropractor this morning and I’m hoping he will be able to get me in quick.

Food Consumption

With all these workouts coming up short I’ve been trying to cut back my calories.  I hadn’t been counting and up until Sunday I hadn’t been feeling heavy but oh I am now. 

Yesterday, Sunday, I decided to start counting again.  Not for weight loss but for weight maintenance.  I am allowed about 2200 calories per day without working out.  I measured and made the recipe calculations and went by the old addage from weight watchers, you lick it or bite it you must write it.  I logged everything and was over by 558 and I know I typically eat more and more often than that.  Good grief!  What an eye opener.  I’m back in the saddle again counting everything and measuring everything.  I’ve got to get back to eating the way I should. 

It would have been so much easier if I hadn’t stopped counting.  Now going back to doing that seems like so much effort.  I’m out of the food loop.  I guess I’m going back in. 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh I'm sorry I can't even imagine how painful and annoying that is! Counting calories really IS an eye opener!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Counting calories is work, however, I did much better yesterday. I only at over my maintenance calories by 200. Definately an improvement. Thankfully today is another day.

    ReplyDelete